Hubby and I found this recipe a while back for Portobello mushroom pizzas. We both like mushrooms and we both like pizza, so we thought, why not!
Oh… my… gosh… They are so tasty! I must say, we did tweak it a little bit (it’s not vegetarian anymore) and it is amazing! Here’s how I do it.
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- Two Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 3-4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro
- 5-6 portobello mushrooms
- 1/2-1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- First saute Italian sausage until brown all over and cooked through. I usually cut it up into small pieces, makes it easier to work with. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and saute onion until soft and garlic until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and cooked sausage. Add lemon juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer until most liquid is gone.
- Remove stems from portobellos. Wash and dry on paper towels.
- Spray a cookie sheet with oil and place portobellos bottoms up.
- Fill mushrooms with filling and top with Parmesan, place in oven for 12 minutes or until Parmesan is crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Like I said, one of our favorite things to eat, ever! Hope you enjoy!